For most children, an awareness of the phonological structure of language generally develops gradually over the preschool years and is a key indicator of later success in learning to read. Research has revealed that approximately 80% of our students with dyslexia have core deficiencies in phonological awareness, which respond well to early intervention and appropriate instruction. Our Jump Start program is designed for Pre-K and Kindergarten age students.
Jump Start to Reading aims to increase:
- letter knowledge
- phonological and phoneme awareness
- book knowledge
- vocabulary and language skills
Our classroom learning environment:
- is language-rich
- is play-based and experienced-based
- involves both center activities and group activities
- provides multiple experiences with books, vocabulary, handwriting, phonological activities, and interaction with adult-guided dialogue and language development
- allows for the creation of Portfolios of children's writing and work
Who can attend?
- are 4 or 5 years old and who have had one year of preschool or kindergarten
- are struggling with learning letter names, sounds, rhyming, and/or general language
- demonstrate average or above-average intelligence
- can work in a group of children with no major behavior issues
- may have a family history of dyslexia or reading problems
When is it?
9:00 am - 1:00 pm daily
4-Week Summer Session: Monday, June 12 - Friday, July 7, 2017
What is the cost?
$100 non-refundable registration fee due with registration.
$500 balance due by the first day of class, June 12th.